An Assyrian Emperor's Resume: Ferocious Conquests a Specialty - 875 BC Edit
- What is the main message of the document?
- The Emperor of the Assyrian Empire ~875 BCE, Ashurnasirpal II, was a great conqueror for his empire.
- Among some areas conquered in his time were Hudun, Zamua, Zamru, Ammaru, and Iritu.
- Ashurnasirpal II also claimed all the cities' wealth and laid brutal waste to the lands.
- Upon conquering these lands, the emperor also brutally murdered his opponents - notably 500 warriors in the area of Mount Aziru.
- The land of Zamua became the center of the Assyrian Empire following Ashurnasirpal II's conquests.
- How can this document help us understand early civilization?
- It shows that early in civilization; life was brutal and unforgiving.
- Conquests hammered at the captured citizens and captured anything/anyone they could.
- Devastation was widespread in Assyrian conquest.